Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Who knew 5 days could feel like 5 weeks...

So much has happened since my first post I almost don't know where to start!


Getting here on Thursday was a little bit overwhelming but since then I've really started to feel comfortable and more at home.

So far my fellow Corps Members (CMs) and I have been filling out paperwork and learning a lot about policy and how things work within the program. We have training pretty much all day everyday about things like safety and representing ourselves and the program when we come in contact with the media. Today we spent all day getting First Aid/CPR/AED certified, which I've done before but was glad to have a refresher on.

Training keeps us busy but there is also a decent amount of free time to get to know people and do fun things. A lot of times that involves throwing a frisbee around or sitting in the sun here on campus but I was able to go to downtown Sacramento over the weekend to get a taste of what that's like. McClellan, where we technically live, is a retired air force base so it's not always the most beautiful place to be but seeing downtown was a great way to get a taste for what a more interesting part of this area is like. I'm definitely hoping to do some more exploring soon and get a feel for what Sacramento is really like beyond the dorm buildings and meeting rooms that I see everyday.

Right now I'm in a temporary team called a pod and we all attend training, eat, and live together. I really like the other people in my pod and even though it's only been 5 days we've become super close. Our pod leader is awesome, which definitely helps make things more fun, and she has made sure we're getting the most out of everything. Unfortunately, the way the program works means that I'll be getting a new team and team leader sometime in the next few weeks. I feel like I really lucked out with my pod so hopefully I feel as positively about the team I'll actually be working with for the next 10 months.

I've also been getting to wear super cool uniforms the past few days. They are definitely not made to be attractive and are particularly unflattering on ladies but we are all united in our shared dorkiness and I'm sure they'll be useful when we're on projects. Don't laugh at this photo... or if you're laughing don't tell me about it!




I was hoping to give a more in-depth update with photos of my room and pod and all that but I'm exhausted (I'm up between 5-6am everyday and haven't quite gotten used to it).

For now please don't hesitate to send me mail! I feel a little disconnected from home so anything would be so appreciated.

My address here is:



Until later,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment