Friday, October 8, 2010

I'm Blogging!

*Note: I wrote this yesterday morning and a ton has changed since then but I wanted to post it anyway

I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to post this first entry but wanted to take advantage of being at the airport an hour early (thanks mom and dad!) by getting some of my thoughts about my upcoming experience in writing before it all starts.
For those of you who don't know, I'm headed to Sacramento for a 10 month program called AmeriCorps NCCC. Since I don't yet have my own perspective on what doing this program will be like for me, here's a blurb from the website (check out more info for yourself if you'd like - Americorps NCCC)

AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC) is a residential national service program for men and women between the ages of 18 and 24.  Approximately 1,100 members participate nationwide each year.

For 10 months, members serve in teams to meet urgent community needs through service learning projects that improve the environment, enhance education, increase public safety, address unmet human needs, and provide rapid and continuing disaster relief and recovery.  AmeriCorps NCCC has responded to every national disaster since the program began in 1994.  Projects operate through partnerships with non-profit organizations, state and local agencies, and other community and faith- based groups.  Teams will work on a series of different projects allowing members to experience a variety of service experiences as well as different communities and cultures.  

Members live on one of five campuses, located in Denver, Colo.; Sacramento, Calif.; Perry Point, Md.; Vinton, Iowa; and Vicksburg, Miss.  Members receive training in CPR, first aid, leadership, team building, and disaster services, in addition to many other topics throughout the year.

The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) oversees Learn and Serve America (LSA), Senior Corps, and all AmeriCorps programs.  The three branches of AmeriCorps are AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America), AmeriCorps NCCC, and AmeriCorps State & National.


Basically what this means for me is that I'll be training in Sacramento and using that campus as my home base but will be traveling throughout the Pacific Region (California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana Wyoming, Utah, Hawaii, Alaska) doing different service projects with a team of 10 other CMs (Corps Members - NCCC has a TON of abbreviations!) and a team leader. I won't know exactly where I'll be or what the projects will entail until a few weeks before each one but I should be in a variety of places doing a variety of project types. The projects could include anything from building houses with Habitat for Humanity to coordinating an after school program for kids or clearing trails in a National Park.

I'm really looking forward to meeting new people, both within the program as well as members of various communities, who are committed to service. I think this program will give me the opportunity to not only perform service myself but to learn from and be inspired by others. I'm also hoping to be pushed out of my comfort zone physically and mentally and am looking forward to being challenged in a variety of ways. Although it may be uncomfortable at times, I've learned through past experiences that the times I am most challenged are what end up being the most defining moments of my life and that challenges are necessary in order for me to grow as a person.

I've already experienced my first challenge of leaving Chicago, my home of 4 years. Saying goodbye to friends was difficult and I know I'll miss all of the unique things I love about the city. I've spent the past 2 weeks in Ann Arbor with my family and hometown friends trying to pack and prepare while getting increasingly excited and nervous. Thanks to the technology of a Facebook group I've been able to hear a little bit about some of the people I'll be serving with as well as having questions answered by staff and comparing packing tips. It was definitely encouraging to hear a little bit from the other 250 people who will be on campus with me but it's still a little nerve wracking to go into a situation where I don't know anyone. I'm excited to get to campus so there won't be so many unknowns and I can start getting to know people and experiencing whatever comes my way.

I don't have a specific schedule yet but the first few days should be mostly filling out paperwork and getting aquatinted with each other and NCCC. There should be lots of exciting things like uniform fittings and tetanus shots that I'll try to report back on regularly. I'm not sure yet how often I'll be updating this but I'll definitely try my hardest to keep it up.

Before I head off for my first adventure of flying to Sacramento by way off Phoenix I'll leave you with the NCCC Mission Statement and AmeriCorps Pledge:

Mission Statement
The mission of AmeriCorps NCCC is to strengthen
communities and develop leaders through team-based
national and community service.

Pledge
I will get things done for America, to make our people safer,
smarter, and healthier.
I will bring Americans together to strengthen our
communities.
Faced with apathy, I will take action.
Faced with conflict, I will seek common ground.
Faced with adversity, I will persevere.
I will carry this commitment with me this year and beyond.
I am an AmeriCorps member, and I will get things done.

Thanks for reading!
Laura

1 comment:

  1. I love it.

    I especially love the pledge. It's so much more relatable than I thought it would be.

    My favorite part (of course) is, "faced with apathy, I will take action."

    You are going to have such a great time. I'm so proud of you for doing this, and equally proud of you for blogging two times already!! That's my girl :-D

    xoxo,
    Erika

    ReplyDelete